At the Old Mint
Where to find Actions Past Players
At the Old Mint, look for our costumed actors on the front steps, in the hallways, in and at our dedicated gaming and lecture/performance space at the Vault level.
The Front Steps
Actions Past Players will be there to greet you as you arrive at the Old Mint. This will be a great way to begin your visit to San Francisco History Days! Our living history actors (maintaining a "first person" interpretation) have become the characters that they represent. This allows you to have a detailed discussion for example, with Otto Schinkel, creator of Anchor "Steam" beer, asking him just why his product is so named. Ask Domingo Ghirardelli, why San Francisco is the perfect place to manufacture and sell fine chocolate, or challenge Charles Crocker, the railroad baron, to defend why he would build a 40 foot high wall around his neighbor's house! Try to resist the charms of the lovely ladies from the Barbary Coast bordellos, and certainly avoid falling prey to the tactics "Shanghai" Kelly and his crew!
Look for Actions Past Players roaming the hallways at the Old Mint. They will be pleased to stop and chat with you.
At the Vault level, look for the Cora House (Gambling, Faro and Social Parlour) in the Actions Past Theater (Vault Four). Here you will be able to learn to play one of the most popular gambling games of the day, hosted by the notorious gambler Charles Cora (don't tell the vigilance Committee you saw him here!) and his charming "Madam", Belle Cora. Also in Vault Four you will be able attend a lecture given by the likes of Mark Twain, Ina Coolbrith and Adolph Sutro!
- 11:30 a.m.: Faro - Starting at 11:30 a.m. and continuing throughout the day during times when lectures are not in session.
- 12:30 p.m.: A Moment with Mark Twain - Relish the wit and wisdom of this San Francisco favorite in this first-person portrayal of Samuel Clemens.
- 1:30 p.m.: Poetry Reading by Miss Ina Coolbrith - A reading from the poet, writer and librarian who was to become the first poet laureate of any American state.
- 2:00 p.m.: Sutro's Oceanside Empire - Learn about Adolph Sutro’s numerous enterprises: Sutro Heights, the Cliff House, the Sutro Railroad, the amusements on Merrie Way, Sutro Baths and Oceanside Terrace, and many more! (Sunday only)
- 3:00 p.m.: A Moment with Mark Twain